Today, however, I accidentally came across this recipe which I have not tried yet, but it looks so simple that I think I will have to ASAP.
- 1 3/4 pounds (6 cups) strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and quartered
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, toss strawberries with 3/4 cup sugar; let sit to bring out their juices.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup sugar, and the salt until combined. Add butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal but with some pea-size bits of butter remaining, 10 to 12 times. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cream and the eggs; pour over flour mixture, and pulse until some large clumps begin to form, 25 to 30 times.
- Using a half-cup measuring cup, gently pack dough, invert, and then tap out onto a baking sheet. Repeat to form 8 biscuits. Bake until lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool, about 15 minutes.
- Beat remaining 1 1/2 cups cream and 2 tablespoons sugar with the vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Slice biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon strawberries and their liquid over bottom halves. Spoon whipped cream on strawberries, and replace top halves of biscuits.
Hope you enjoy!